This is my life. Sometimes shown through the eye of my camera phone, and sometimes not. I'll talk running, gadgets, music, and whatever else I stumble on to

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The Great Data Consolidation Part 1.

UPDATE: Boy... I've almost forgotten how refreshing a newly formatted hard drive feels. Kind of like a comfy, newly washed, pair of... uhm... underwear? No lie.

With Win XP Professional installed there are only six folders on the root of my C: drive instead of the 10,000 foldes I had there before.

I can breathe. Next... the armor goes on.



A New Beginning.

Boy did I sound like a geek in that title...

Yup- I'm starting a major overhaul of my 'computing life' sort-to-speak. Twenty five years of working with these darn machines has taught me a lot. Not only that, but I've acquired quite the vast amounts of data all around me that it needs a complete reorganization. I'll be doing this with the help of a few of the newest internet based and hardware based technologies I've already got my hands on.

Admittedly, I got a little bit of a reality check by Razor's own experience with a destroyed home computer and Lidia's hard drive failure on the laptop I was letting her use. Fortunately, I was able to resurrect Lidia's hard drive from sure death and recovered all of her treasured images. And with Razor being in the IT field himself, he should of known better than to leave his PC unprotected using Limewire!

And so it begins. I'll detail my progress here of course without sounding too much like the nerd that I am.

To begin, I'm reformatting my home computer's hard drive and starting from scratch. It's been acting funny anyway, and after injecting a few more memory sticks in to speed it up, I should be in good shape.

More soon....

4 Comments:

Blogger kellybelly said...

A solution is easy: buy a Mac!

Seriously though. If you haven't heard of them, I swear by Ad-Aware, Spybot, and AVG. Those combined with Firefox ... near-perfect protection. My PC at home is on the 'net 24/7 (has been for years) and I have had NO problems -- not even when it was my sole computer and I ran various p2p programs. The best time to install them is when the computer is nice and clean, before anything else gets installed (and before you connect to the 'net).

Added bonus: they're all free.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

7:54 PM

 
Blogger kellybelly said...

Dude, I think you jinxed me. My computer is fuxored now. Thanks a lot.

;-)

9:36 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my! I'm sorry! Not a good month for computers I guess.

Good software choices by the way. I've used all but AVG since I'm a Norton Antivirus fan. Though I've recently moved to eTrust Antivirus by Computer Associates- good stuff so far.

Good luck with your 'puter

11:01 AM

 
Blogger kellybelly said...

Ah, I figured that you probably already knew about all those, being the computer guy you are, but I had to mention them in case there was some way that you hadn't.

My computer is being shipped out to have the hard drive replaced -- I'll get it back in 7-10 days. :( I would have replaced it myself except that would void the warranty. But at least I don't have to pay for it.

10:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home