This is my life. Sometimes shown through the eye of my camera phone, and sometimes not. I'll talk running, gadgets, music, and whatever else I stumble on to

Friday, June 13, 2008

Personal thoughts on one year of running.

Just about one year ago this month, I rekindled my love of running again after not running since high school (looong time ago). I remember the first time I put running shoes on last year and took a one mile run near my home. I remember how out of breath I was after just a few minutes; how much I struggled. I was sooo out of shape, but I was committed to bringing it back.

Here I am a year later and I know I can run without stopping for 11 miles- almost effortlessly. I rediscovered my love for competitive racing, going back to when I ran Cross Country in high school. And even though I would win ribbons back then, now it's more of a competition with myself and trying to beat my best times.

In looking at my training calendar for the next few months leading up to the Chicago Marathon in October, I can see how hard it's actually going to be. I've never done this before, and I don't really know what to expect. I don't know if anyone will be there to cheer me on, or if there will be anyone at the finish line to hug and cry with. Even so, I will be doing it for myself. I have failed at many things in my life, some of which were very important to me and dear to my heart. This is my chance to redeem myself, as silly as it may sound.

So here I am a year later.

I have no injuries, and am feeling really great during my runs. I'm over my disappointment in missing Rockford, but other great challenges lie ahead. I have a fun 5K to do this weekend, and plan on a 10K race later this month. The 13.1 miles of the Chicago Distance Classic will fit in as part of my training for Chicago. After that, the twenty mile training runs come in August and September.

Twenty miles. Wow.

God willing, I can do it.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home