This is my life. Sometimes shown through the eye of my camera phone, and sometimes not. I'll talk running, gadgets, music, and whatever else I stumble on to

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Running Log 1-9-08: With action shot!

Action shot- Taken during my 6 mile run tonight somewhere in Round Lake, IL. Yup- that's a headlamp I'm wearing, and there's another flashing light behind my head.

Warning: Do NOT try this at home kiddies (i.e. prepare for some face plant action while fumbling with a camera phone in the dark while traveling at high speeds).

Miles: 6
Time: 1:04:08
Avg. Pace: 10:24 mile
Time: 6:50 p.m.
Temp: 39 deg.

This one was a little tough. I think I was still a wee bit sore from my 7 miler on Saturday. I was also a little over dressed, and got quite warm pretty quick for it being near 40 degrees outside. Still, once I got into a nice groove after mile 3, things went smoother and was able to finish strong.

This was my scheduled "tempo run". A tempo run is done at a "comfortably hard" pace, just hard enough to make you really work, but it's not a racing pace. In a nutshell, tempo runs teach your body to use oxygen for metabolism more efficiently during a run. The faster pace is held for the entire run, with a warm up of about a mile or so before and after the actual run.

Yea- there is actually a science to all of this running stuff, which was a surprise to me when starting up running again. Each training session serves a particular purpose, and conditions your body to run the long distances required for the real thing (marathon, half-marathons, etc.)

Check out this link for an explanation of some of the various elements involved in training for long distance running.

No running until another 7 miles on Saturday- probably in the city again!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home