This is my life. Sometimes shown through the eye of my camera phone, and sometimes not. I'll talk running, gadgets, music, and whatever else I stumble on to

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Action Shot: 10 mile training run

run_426_08

Taken near mile seven of my ten mile training run at Independence Grove forest preserve, Libertyville, IL.

A run of 10 miles is daunting. As I stood at the beginning of the trail that was to take me completely around Independence Grove, down the Des Plaines river trail, and back, I wondered if it was possible. The sun was out, and the wind was blowing at an incredible 35 mph, and it was a bit cool out. The most I've run before this was 9 miles in Chicago.

I couldn't believe how powerful that wind was. Running 10 miles is one thing, but fighting a 35mph wind while TRYING to complete it is another. I swear I could of put my arms out and have been lifted into the air. It was one of the more difficult things I've done.

But I did it.

I've never felt such relief or sense of accomplishment. I finished in one hour and thirty nine minutes. I walked for two minutes during the run to take a power gel and a drink, but otherwise I ran the whole thing. I'm constantly surprising myself.

The May 18 Rockford half-marathon is less that 22 days away. Holy crap! I have two 11 milers to do before then, and then it's race time. I'm looking forward to it with nervous anticipation.

Right now my legs are tired, and my left quadricep is a bit sore. My feet and knees have held up surprisingly well, but I think I'll be retiring my trusty running shoes after Rockford.

Those shoes and I have been through a lot. Perhaps I'll have them encased and hang them on my wall.

Yup, I'm a nerd like that.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Independence Grove is a good place to run, but like you said, if that wind is kicking...

I always try to stick to the Des Plaines river trail that runs through IG, but right now it is a little muddy.

ood luck with the half!

Kevin

10:36 AM

 
Blogger L*I*S*A said...

Great job!!! You did it despite the wind doing its best to knock you sideways, right? Sweet accomplishment.

1:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home