This is my life. Sometimes shown through the eye of my camera phone, and sometimes not. I'll talk running, gadgets, music, and whatever else I stumble on to

Sunday, July 13, 2008

12 Mile run: Did I just do that?



Miles: 12
Total time: 2 hrs.
Avg. pace: 9:20 per mile
Location: Chicago lakefront path

Good god! Did I just spend two hours straight running?

Whatever doubts I had about completing the longest run of my life to date were whisked away as soon as I hit the pavement. I had twelve miles ahead of me- TWELVE! As in 1 - 2. Just a little over a year ago I was struggling to make it through one measly mile. I continue to surprise myself.

Today was my 12 mile "simulated" half-marathon training run to prepare for the 13.1 miles of the Chicago Distance Classic just 28 days away (crap!). This was going to give me a pretty good idea as to how long it will take me to complete the full distance. I wore everything I am planning to wear at the Classic, right down to where I was going to pin my car key to make sure everything was right.

For the life of me, I can't get the shoe on my right foot to cooperate. It's either too tight, or too loose. Too loose and I kept getting little pebbles in my shoe. Too tight and the arch on my right foot started to ache in the early miles. I'm fairly certain I need new shoes, but I dread having to break them in with the marathon coming up. The thin, Nike Dri-Fit socks I wear on my runs make tiny little pebbles feel like boulders when they get in my shoe- absolutely annoying!

I started out at an easy 9:30 per-mile pace during the first 6 miles, then gradually worked up to 9:00 minutes for miles 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. I took two walking breaks at mile 6 and 10 to take a Power Gel with Gatorade. I kept telling myself to relax and breathe. Once I got the shoe situation straightened out, the last few miles went surprisingly well, and I finished in almost exactly two hours.

So, barring any unforeseen disasters during the Classic, I'm predicting a finish time of around 2 hours and 15 minutes for the half-marathon. I feel really good about a sub-2 hour half marathon, but I'll need to work on it!

Next Saturday I have a 14 mile run on my schedule before easing off the miles in the weeks leading up to the Classic.

These days, my running is like a drug now. It makes me feel incredible, and I feel like a piece of my life is missing if I can't do my run for some reason or another.

It's part of my lifestyle now, and it feels damn good.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your longest run, Jesse--that's awesome!
I just did my longest to date (8 mi) last weekend, and it's an amazing feeling when everything goes right.

Be prepared to feel like a rock star all week about it.

10:20 PM

 
Blogger Jen S. said...

Wait a second, if you ran 12 miles today in 2 hrs, then don't you think in a month you can do 13 miles in like, 2:09 max? :)

You're doing great. Keep on runnin'!

10:36 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats on the 8 miles John! It really does feel great!

Jen- Yea, I guess I'm playing it safe, but am really shooting for a sub-2 hour HM. :-)

10:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome job. It really starts to get into your blood. I really feel crappy on days I miss a run, but the feeling of accomplishment after a nice long run is the best in the world; especially the "hum" you get in your legs for a day or two. Good luck with the 14 next week, it really becomes psychological once you keep checking your watch to see that you passed the half-marathon mark.

8:36 AM

 
Blogger Amy Guth said...

Congrats on your run! Isn't that the best feeling? Totally in agreement with John-- prepare to feel awesome all week! (And deservedly so!)

11:02 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Amy- It really is a wonderful feeling. I'm happy to be running again, and am enjoying every moment.

11:09 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I highly recommend breaking in your shoes before the marathon. The more you run in your current shoes, the flatter and less support they'll have for your marathon. And running 26.2 miles in unsupportive shoes won't help the cause at all!

Wear them around for now if you must, just to break them in but you should definitely run in them just to test out the feeling that they'll have on your feet.

Hope you don't mind me offering advice...

6:17 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Lindsay- I absolutely welcome your advice! The whole shoe thing has been bugging me more and more, so I'm paying a visit to the shoe store for a fitting and further advice. Thanks for your input!

11:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home