This is my life. Sometimes shown through the eye of my camera phone, and sometimes not. I'll talk running, gadgets, music, and whatever else I stumble on to

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Running Log 6-25-08: Speed work

Trusted running buddy.
Action shot: I think that's my game face I have on. Taken just before my speedwork workout.
Click for a larger view
.

Date: 6-25-08
Total miles: 4
Total 1 mile splits:
1- 11:27 (walk/jog warmup)
2- 8:27
3- 11:30 (walk/jog)
4- 8:25
Finish: Cool down or throw up, whichever comes first.

Where: Independence Grove FP, Libertyville.
Weather: BLAZING.

Whoa crap. I thought I wasn't going to survive this hard workout considering the blazing sun was, well, blazing.

What is speedwork you ask? In a nutshell, it trains you to go faster when you need it most- like at the end of a fast 5K run. It's a fast sprint done at 1 mile intervals with jogging breaks in between. I'm not sure if this is the fastest I can run, but it's pretty darn fast.

I left the Garmin GPS at home, so it was just me and my stop watch.

I picked a one mile chunk of trail and just ran back and forth. I would jog it for one mile, and then sprint it back to the start. I did this four times.

It was close to 80F outside, and it seriously felt like 101F. I don't know, but I must be doing something right... no cramps, steady (but super high) heart rate, and the pain in my right foot was non-existent after icing it up for a couple of days. I made sure to cool down in shady areas before my sprints because I was seriously warm. No harm done, though, thank god.

Note to self: DO NOT slack on hydrating during my runs in hot weather. Always have water or Gatorade- always, always, always. And make sure a toilet is nearby for the pee breaks.

Now I rest until my 10 mile long run on Saturday. I think I'll take the train to the city and buy a weekend pass so that I can swing back up to the Taste of Chicago this weekend...

...and pig out.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom@RunnersLounge said...

Good Luck getting ready for the Chicago Distance Classic and the Marathon around the corner.

Keep up your great blogging and training!

8:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home