This is my life. Sometimes shown through the eye of my camera phone, and sometimes not. I'll talk running, gadgets, music, and whatever else I stumble on to

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Circumstances Beyond My Control

Well, my 14 mile run yesterday turned out to be only 10 miles due to an unfortunate circumstance that only allowed for a 2 hour window to do my run in Chicago.

The Metra train that was ahead of the one I was on hit a pedestrian during its route. The delay brought me into Chicago later than I had planned, so I had to cut things short to make it home at a decent time. Of course none of that matters more than whatever suffering the pedestrian had to go through. I certainly hope he/she is Okay.

Due to the rain in the morning, my run took place in the middle of the day in a busy, busy city. Now I know why I desire to get up at 4:00 a.m. on Saturday's to do my long runs in the city- lots of peeps down there during peak times.

Because of the shortened mileage, I cut 30 to 45 seconds off of my per-mile pace, bouncing between an 8:45 to 9:00 minute pace. This is fast for my runs longer than 7 miles, and fortunately I was able to sustain it during the entire run- encouraging in the hopes of completing a sub-2 hour half-marathon.

My training schedule for this week:

Monday: 5 miles
Tuesday: Weight training
Wednesday: 7 miles
Thurs/Fri: Weights/Cross train
Saturday: 10 miles

I wanted to wish fellow bloggers Jen and Lindsay a safe trip on their Bike Ride Across Iowa this coming week! I'll be following this event closely, as it is something (or similar) I'd like to put on my adventure to-do list for next year.

Have a wonderful week!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Jen S. said...

Aw, thanks for thinking of me! I'll wear my helmet and obey all the rules of the road. RAGBRAI is a lot of fun, and quite an experience for the legs. Hope you go next year!

Good work with the marathon training. I'll do Chicago again one of these years....

10:45 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I am also doing RAGBRAI this week. Only the last three days of it though. Did 43 miles yesterday. Will be off for Iowa on Wednesday! This will be my first for RAGBRAI and my first for riding multiple days in a row.

2:34 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Lindsay- Good luck to you as well! The event looks like a great time. I'll have to sharpen up my bike skills for next year!

I've also linked you up on my blog post :)

2:48 PM

 
Blogger Steven Vance said...

I've heard anectodal evidence that the Amtrak to Milwaukee from Chicago hits someone or something at least once a week.

Are we not doing enough as parents and teachers and engineers to tell people that trains are deadly and have no respect, mercy, or "wiggle room" for those who don't follow the rules or aren't paying attention?

9:34 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Steve- It does seem that train vs. pedestrian accidents are becoming more frequent. Keep far away from those things when they begin to move!

11:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home