This is my life. Sometimes shown through the eye of my camera phone, and sometimes not. I'll talk running, gadgets, music, and whatever else I stumble on to

Sunday, September 21, 2008

20 mile run: The sweetest revenge of all

20 mile run 9-21-08

Distance: 20 miles
Where: Nike Ready to Run 20 Miler, Chicago
Time: 03:07:25 new PB (old 03:22:51)

I never thought I'd say this about my 20 mile run, but it seemed almost... effortless.

What more can I say? A near perfect run!

Everything just clicked today. Due to a rather long potty line, I missed running with my pace group by one wave, and settled in with the 9:30 minute group. I stuck with them for about six miles and then felt strong enough to run ahead, staying just over my marathon pace.

I took three rest days to stretch and ice a sore right knee leading up to today, and it made all the difference. Absolutely no pain in the knee, and the cramps that haunted me after mile 16 during my first 20 miler stayed away. As a matter of fact, I didn't cramp at all, and felt amazing when it was all over. Believe me when I say the "runner's high" is real. I was so there, and I think I still am!

I've always made fun of people who are able to chat with each other deep into long runs, until I met Nicky at about mile seven. I ended up pacing with her for the next 13 miles, which made all the difference in keeping my mind off of the overall distance. She's a grad student and a three time marathoner, so there were no shortage of stories to tell. Her and I ended up with personal best times in the end. Finding people to chat with during the run will by part of my strategy for Chicago, as it really does help pass the time.

Overall, I couldn't find anything wrong with this run. Achieving a personal best time over my previous 20 mile run was bitter sweet, and I'm still up in the clouds about it.

My mileage comes down from here on in with three weeks left. Here's what on my plate this week:

Mon: 7 miles
Wed: 8 miles speed work
Thur: 2 miles
Sat: 12 miles

Bring on Chicago!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger runner-grrl said...

What an awesome feeling! So proud of you, you're going to do so well in Chicago. I was fortunate enough to have the same experience yesterday, and also described my feelings after the run as "high" and on "cloud" 9. Great work! You are SO ready!! --Alex (run350)

8:35 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo! Nice job, Jesse. That had to feel great.

8:49 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, I have to run 13 miles on Saturday. And I've always wanted to run along the lake front. Wanna run together?

9:57 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

runner-grrl, Kevin - Thank you! Your kind comments are always encouraging.

10:41 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:48 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Lindsay- That's a great idea! I was planning to run the Chicago lakefront for my 12 Saturday anyway. Email me at ... and we'll work it out!

4:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home