This is my life. Sometimes shown through the eye of my camera phone, and sometimes not. I'll talk running, gadgets, music, and whatever else I stumble on to

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I should know better than this!

Run log 8-18-08
Miles:
8.0
Time:
01:15:32
Where:
Independence Grove, IL
Chicago Marathon countdown:
8 weeks (!!)

Every fourth week of my training is a recovery week. This basically means that I do little to no running for seven days to help my body recover from the prior three weeks of heavy training. At times I don't even THINK about training and instead do other things like work around the house, fishing, and sit on my butt somewhere (beach!).

Last week was a recovery week, which just so happened to come immediately after my half-marathon on 8-12. Perfect.

So when it comes down to starting back up after a rest, it takes my brain a day or two to get back into the groove, which explains the rather dumb mistakes I did this past Monday during my 8 mile run:

1. Don't open your big mouth so wide when breathing.

I ate a bug today. I've had bugs hit me in the head before, but none ever went in my mouth. It was a little bug, but it was enough for me to try and cough it out and caused a bit of irritation in my throat while I was breathing. It pretty much bugged me all the way through (pun intended).

2. No Power Gels unless you're running 10 miles and over.

I took a Power Gel at mile 5 of 8, which I never do. I'm not sure why I ate it, but it was just there in my pocket. I didn't really need it, and ended up paying for it with an upset stomach and a bit of a headache after. I guess it didn't have enough time to process in my system and it stuck around for a while.

3. Take in fluids less frequently.

I hydrated well all day, yet I was still grabbing for fluids every 5 to 10 minutes for about an hour. I should be taking fluids every 10 to 15 minutes depending on how hot it is. I think this contributed to my upset tummy after the run.

4. Just relax.

I tend to get all tensed up after a few days off which contributes to a pace that's all over the place. I'll have to put a few more easy songs on the iPod to chill out to.

Here's my training schedule for the next few days:

Wed: 7 miles
Thur: rest
Fri: rest
Sat: 16 miles
Total miles for week: 31

Saturday's run will be my longest ever and am a bit nervous about it...

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

What training plan on you following?

9:58 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm following a slightly modified version of a plan designed by Runner's World Smart Coach. I think it has worked out really well for me and has kept me from over-training and injury. I've modified it a bit to increase the pace speeds it calculated for me.

11:31 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I used that for my half marathon training! Thought that I could get away with only running 3 days a week and it worked! But for my marathon training I thought I should run more so I'm going with Hal Higdon's plan. Otherwise I probably would have gone with theirs too.

11:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home