This is my life. Sometimes shown through the eye of my camera phone, and sometimes not. I'll talk running, gadgets, music, and whatever else I stumble on to

Saturday, August 23, 2008

I want my mommy!

16 mile run.
Total Time: 02:48:45
Where: Chicago lakefront

About three miles longer than I'd ever run.

This was one of the most difficult things I've ever done. The heat and humidity- close to 85 deg. with 50% humidity- made it extremely tough. It got to the point around mile 12 where I actually started hallucinating, thinking the base of the light poles were drinking fountains!

I made an executive decision on Friday night to run Saturday, instead of Sunday, which seemed the cooler of the two days. I also decided to take the train instead of driving, which would have brought my start time closer to 6 a.m. instead of the blazing hot 8 a.m.

There was a Cubs game in town, a latin music festival in Grant Park, and a triathlon going on each day which made me decide to take the train, bringing me in later than I wanted.

So how did it go?

Slow. The first 8 miles into the wind was nice and the pace was easy at 9:30/minute, but as soon as I turned back north, the wind was at my back and it got really tough to stay cool. The heat and humidity really sucks the energy out of you. After mile 12, I ended up running for seven minutes, and walking for three minutes to hydrate.

Overall everything went well. I did manage to get a blister on my foot, but may haven been because my shoe got wet from all of the water I was pouring on my head. I learned quite a bit, and hope to apply it on my 20 mile run next weekend.

Twenty miles. 20, 20, 20. Two-zero.... Holy....

It still amazes me how the human body can cope with such extreme conditions given the distance I ran today. Despite some rather new, sometimes scary, and interesting experiences my body went through today, I managed to come out of it mostly unscathed. I think I'm doing something right being so new at this!

It was one hell of a challenge, and I'm super excited to have finished it despite all of the pain.

Coming up this week:
Mon: 4 miles
Tue: Cross train
Wed: 8 miles speedwork
Thur: 2 miles
Fri: rest
Sat: 20 miles

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Holy cow! Good job! I ran yesterday a race in DeKalb. It was 80% humidity out here in rural-land. I also walked a whole heck of a lot yesterday. This was only my second time walking in a race. But never for that much.

Yea, I read in Runner's World that you should end your summer run in the wind that way you can cool yourself down. What you just said confirms that.

8:42 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Yea, without much wind you can't cool off properly especially if the temps are so high. It really took a lot out of me. I hadn't walked this much during a long run either. It was interesting to experience in a painful sort of way :)

4:33 PM

 
Blogger Jen S. said...

16 to 20 miles is a big jump! Good luck. I'll hope for good weather for ya!

9:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home