This is my life. Sometimes shown through the eye of my camera phone, and sometimes not. I'll talk running, gadgets, music, and whatever else I stumble on to

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Frustrated and waiting

Well, it's been quite a while. It's been my fault, actually.

I've been extremely busy at the office as of late. Like everyone else out there, my company has been hit hard by the current economic conditions. Many people have been laid off, and many of our plants have closed or been consolidated. As an IT network administrator for the company, I'm responsible for managing the computer network across all of our locations nationwide. My job has become that much more critical as I need to make sure the systems that are there stay up and running and healthy. This means lots of extra hours, and extra work. I should be lucky for the work, I guess. I'm not complaining.

So that's off my chest.

Wouldn't you know it? Just when I heal up a bum left knee, the right knee is experiencing the same symptoms, and has yet again slowed my mileage to a crawl. The pain started during a 10 mile run in 5F degree wind chills around March 7. And just like the left knee before it, the pain doesn't show itself until I've run three miles or more. It doesn't hurt when I walk, climb stairs, bike, jump up and down... nothing. Frustrating to say the least.

I swear, this winter has really beat me up.

I don't think I'll be training for a full marathon in the winter anytime soon. I'm taking it day by day leading up to the St. Louis Marathon. My left knee healed up rather nicely, and I'm taking care of the right one in the same way in the hopes it will heal up just as fast. I am concerned that I'm nowhere near the mileage I need to be to ensure a successful finish. I still plan on being there, and plan on running (walking) in one way or another. Crossing my fingers!

So that's a quick update in a nutshell.

I hope you've all been well! Spring is around the corner and can't wait!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so keeping my fingers crossed that the right knee heels by the weekend so you can have a long run. I'm sure by the time the marathon comes around you'll be top notch and ready to roll.. I know you'll be great.
And yes - spring seems to be here :)

8:47 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm totally right there with you for the Spring Marathon. Screw that. I'm done! :-)

5:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The biggest thing is to feel healthy and strong for the marathon! If your knees are having problems try some easy cross-training... Yoga?
I'm sure you will rock your next Marathon!

11:21 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home