This is my life. Sometimes shown through the eye of my camera phone, and sometimes not. I'll talk running, gadgets, music, and whatever else I stumble on to

Monday, March 23, 2009

Getting a leg up on it

Well, another test drive of the right knee this past Saturday turned up only 3 miles. It's Thursday now as I write this and I haven't run since then. I've been aggressively icing the right knee for the past two and a half weeks in the hopes of getting it healed up before my marathon on April 19.

Alas, I'm having second thoughts about completing the race. As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm nowhere near the mileage I need to be at this point to finish 26.2 miles. Two of the three 20 mile training runs that are on my schedule have come and gone, only having completed no more than 4 or so miles on each. As I learned in Chicago, 26.2 is nothing to be messed with- it will chew you up and spit you back out with nary a sign of mercy.

I'm doing my best in keeping fit during this layoff, concentrating on strengthening exercises, biking, and keeping to my strict stretching regiment. A co-worker of mine remarked that I looked a little thinner than usual, which I can understand because by now I would be eating everything in sight with the increased mileage I should be doing. I haven't lost or gained weight, though- officially anyway. Oh, and I should mention the Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplements I'm taking to help my healing are quite disgusting, but necessary.

I have a couple of friends running the St. Louis Marathon next month, so I may just go to cheer them on from the sidelines, and concentrate on shorter races until the Chicago Marathon in October.

I've suffered through quite a range of emotions because of all of this. Still, I'm being patient, and know that once this layoff is over, I'll be very happy to hit the roads again.

God willing.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can tell your frustration & sadness over not running and especially not having the miles needed to complete your next marathon ... but I know you'll be great in time for Chicago and you'll have a great training schedule and you have a great amount of support behind you!

I just hope you get to run like 15 miles real soon! I know it'll lift your spirits whether it's training or not!

11:27 PM

 
Blogger Lynn said...

Do the Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplements really help?

2:10 PM

 
Blogger Jessica said...

Prayers for you my friend!

4:15 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

The supplements were suggested by a running friend. I haven't run since I started taking it, so I don't know of any immediate effect. Doesn't hurt, though.

5:07 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Jessica!

5:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home