This is my life. Sometimes shown through the eye of my camera phone, and sometimes not. I'll talk running, gadgets, music, and whatever else I stumble on to

Friday, October 17, 2008

Post-Chicago Marathon thoughts

I'm finally starting to get my legs back after Sunday's race. They were stiff as a board the couple of days after, but I'm mostly unscathed. Remember the left calf pain I was whining about before the race? Well, I've managed to turn it into ground beef now, so it will take a little time to rehab it back into shape. No real harm done, I hope.

I'm still on a little bit of a high after finishing that 26.2 mile monster. Despite the major malfunction I had after mile 18, I'm very happy with the result. I. can't. begin. to describe how magical the moment was when that medal went around my neck after crossing the finish line. As I mentioned in my previous race report, I just held it tightly in my hand for quite a while afterwards. I now understand how addicting that feeling can be. I am hooked.

You see, in the running world there are these things we call "PR's" or "PB's" (Personal Records or Personal Bests). And there are these numbers attached to them indicating your finish times. These are meant to be broken. So the 4:54:38 time I have in the marathon, will soon fall. This is my new goal.

One thing is certain, I will be back to run Chicago in 2009. I have another crazy idea of taking on a 2nd marathon sometime next year, along with a couple of half's. I haven't decided on the races yet, but I should have a final list soon.

There is a quote I saw somewhere on the Internets that will be my mantra from this day forward:

"There will be a day when I can no longer do this. Today is not that day."

I like that.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger runner-grrl said...

Way to go, Jesse! Such a great attitude :-) Can't wait to hear the progress for the next one. I bet you knock an incredible amount of time off your Chi '08 time. --Alex

12:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My blog reader dropped your feed. I was wondering how you did on the big day and it seems like you came through smashingly.

Sounds like you have gotten it into your blood now. Those 5Ks were the gateway drug to your new habit, but it is great to have.

I've really enjoyed the lead-up stories in your blog and I was pulling for you last week. Great to see you did well and you are still at it.

Winter running is where it is at; I 've been getting back into the swing of things lately and feel inspired to shoot for at least a half in the Spring. Maybe Chicago again in '09.

Congrats!

9:57 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Kevin- Thank you for your kind words of encouragement leading up to my run in Chicago. It truly was an amazing journey and I can't wait to get back there to give it another shot. You're right- I am hooked.

Good to hear you're getting back to running. I'd love to hear how it's going for you sometime. Do keep it up! happy running!

1:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home