This is my life. Sometimes shown through the eye of my camera phone, and sometimes not. I'll talk running, gadgets, music, and whatever else I stumble on to

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Reality really does bite!


So I booked my first half-marathon race last week, and although I'm quite aware of the 13.1 mile distance required to finish it, it didn't begin to sink in until I started measuring just how long that distance really is.

If I ran a straight line from my home in Round Lake, IL to any of these familiar locations in Lake County, I would reach the distance of the half-marathon- give or take a mile or two:

-To the western shore of Lake Michigan on Waukegan's north beach (yes- this one).

-To Old School Forest Preserve in Libertyville, IL.- home of my annual picnic.

-To the Best Buy in Vernon Hills, IL. across from Hawthorn Mall.

-To my boyhood home in Wauconda, IL. and then running one and a half times around the entire perimeter of Bangs Lake.

-A straight line north to the Wisconsin/Illinois border and back home.

Perhaps I'll use one of these for a practice run? I'll take the Best Buy one as long as I can fit my checkbook in my running pants.

Next week I'll be starting my "maintenance" training which will take me six weeks to complete. My schedule consists of keeping my running mileage up around 11-15 miles per week, with my longer weekly run going no longer than six miles through winter.

This will prepare me for my tougher 16 week schedule come February where I build up to 11 mile runs leading up to half-marathon day on May 18, 2008.

I can't wait to get started!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

Good luck and happy training!! Sounds like you have a good training plan. I'm jealous. :)

8:27 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home