This is my life. Sometimes shown through the eye of my camera phone, and sometimes not. I'll talk running, gadgets, music, and whatever else I stumble on to

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Kenosha Mayor's Turkey Trot 10K

Ever wake up and look out your window and see how miserable a day it is, and then say to yourself that you'd very much prefer to stay in bed all day? Yup, that was me on the morning of my Turkey Trot Thursday morning. Saw the first snow of the season, and rain was coming down buckets.

I dropped the blinds and dug my face in back into my pillow at 6 a.m. in the morning. I said to myself that 7:30 a.m. would be the drop-dead time for me to make the decision on running the race today. Well, after poking into Twitter that morning, I got a bit jealous of my running Twitter buddies who were running Turkey Trots in their respective cities.

A quote from a running Twitter bud @astrodad: "Go for it. After running in this mess you'll appreciate your dinner so much more! At least that's my excuse!"

Noted. Out the door I went with minutes to spare.

I should really stop being such a wuss. A little cold wind and rain never stopped me from getting out on the roads before. I'm glad I made out, actually. I would have regretted not making the race.

As for the run itself? It was very nicely organized with lots of runners in attendance. I'm really surprised how nice this area of Kenosha, Wi. is around the museum and all. The course was actually quite challenging with quite a few hills thrown in, to my surprise. Being my first 10K (6.1 miles), I didn't have a goal in mind other than finishing in under one hour. My official finish was 00:54:05 (8:44 pace).

I'm happy with the results. I was dressed a bit warmer than I would have liked, considering the SUN actually came out for a spell, and I was sweating like a pig with three layers on. I don't think I gave it my all this race, but it will do. I just have to remember that with the quicker paces I'm running lately, I warm up considerably faster than my days of running 9:30's or 10's.

Once the holiday weekend is done, I'll be starting my strength and core workouts on Monday. I don't have another race goal in mind at the moment, but I hope to do another small race before the year is out.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wooo! Good going Jesse! That's a great 1st time 10k. It's hard to believe it's taken you this long to run an official 10k race. :-)

9:19 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Lindsay! I know, isn't that crazy? I love the 10k distance, though.

7:57 AM

 
Blogger runner-grrl said...

Well stated! I'm having a hard time getting out in the cold to run. More miles on my treadmill than my car this month. Sounds like your post-Chi running is going really well! --Alex

8:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home