This is my life. Sometimes shown through the eye of my camera phone, and sometimes not. I'll talk running, gadgets, music, and whatever else I stumble on to

Monday, February 04, 2008

Rockford half-marathon: Training day 1

So here we go.

I haven't run much for the past two weeks to prepare me for what's ahead...

For the next fifteen weeks, I will officially begin training for the 13.1 miles of the Rockford half-marathon. Up to today, the most I've run in a single jaunt will be 7 miles. The most I've run in a week is 16.

At the end of week 14 my longest individual run will be 11 miles (there are two) and my weekly total will peak near 21 miles. Ouch. Let's not even mention my training for the 26.2 miles of the Chicago marathon in October, which will be near double that. That begins in June.

Here's a break down on what I'll expect each day:

-Monday: Usually an easy 2 to 4 miles to recover from my longer run on Saturdays.
-Tuesday: Rest or cross training (weights, walking, etc).
-Wednesday: A "tempo run" or "speedwork". These workouts are of a faster pace- much faster to increase my overall speed and improve my heart rate.
-Thursday: Rest.
-Friday: Rest / cross training.
-Saturday: Long run. These are for endurance and will vary from 6 through 11 miles each.
-Sunday: Rest.

This schedule will change a bit the closer I get to week 15.

As of right now, I have no injuries except for a little soreness along the inside of my right knee that doesn't show itself until after a longer run. It has improved dramatically during my two week rest, though.

So for all of my regular visitors, I hope you will join me on my journey. I promise I won't write ALL about my training, in the hopes of not boring you to death :) It will continue on as always.

Have a wonderful day!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi! You left a comment on my iRun blog. I am currently training for the Rockford Marathon (or maybe Half Marathon (or maybe not at all)). I ran a HM last December for St. Jude and I did the exact same training schedule as you are working on! Luckily, my race was in December so I was able to train outside during the summer and not have to deal with the cold winter running or trying to get motivated to run!

I'll have to keep checking back on your blog now and then to see how your training is going.

6:46 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home