This is my life. Sometimes shown through the eye of my camera phone, and sometimes not. I'll talk running, gadgets, music, and whatever else I stumble on to

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

I Knee'd this to work, please.

Dammit!

I'm babysitting a pain in my left knee that popped up while I was on the tail end of doing 3 miles on the treadmill last Saturday before a planned long run on Sunday. I've only logged slightly over 9 miles since my last 5K on Oct. 21- that's down from my weekly 13 miles to date.

I just don't feel like I'm running my natural pace on a treadmill. It almost seems like I'm forcing myself and not relaxing properly. Both of my knee problems came from running on that damn thing, so I'm sticking to something a bit more natural like trails or the running track. I'm just not doing something right, and it pisses me off.

Positive #1:
I'm taking a few days rest to ice it up. On a "pain scale" of 1 to 10, I'd say it's only 1 or a zero when I walk on it. I was further encouraged by some rigorous weight lifting sessions and some serious walking with no pain whatsoever.

Positive #2:
I successfully rehabbed my right knee from some pain I suffered on the treadmill while training for my first 5K back in September. It's encouraging to know I did this on my own, and if I do things right, I'll lick this one in no time.

Negative #1:
I feel the need to RUN! I have so much energy right now, I feel I can run 100 miles in one hour- SERIOUSLY. But I'm patient and hold high hopes that I will get through this one too.

As my mileage increases, I expect my body to go through some changes. I'm already seeing incredible results physically, and am accomplishing things I never knew I was capable of. It keeps me motivated and happy.

Only 22 days until the 8K Turkey Trot in Chicago!

This will be my last race until 2008. I've got plans to run the big guns (26 milers) next year, so I've got work to do.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

have you tried the elliptical? I don't know how good it is for preparing for runs, so I may be barking up the wrong tree. But I physically can't run on a treadmill, it feels like I'm slicing my knee with my own bones. But the elliptical gives me no problems.

12:39 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Good thought. The last (first) time I got on the elliptical it kicked my ass! I can do 3 miles running no problem, but I get on that thing for 10 minutes and I'm whipped! Great for cardio and is a good alternative to that treadmill.

1:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard that, too. Its not that hard for me, even using arms. I can not go to the gym for a few months but still get on the elliptical for 30 min. (no more than that, but still)
Maybe i'm just used to it by now. I've been using it for about 10 years now - its a knee physical therapy favorite.

1:52 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Yea- that's definitely on my list to rehab the knee. I also discovered the stair-stepper thingy which is also a nice alternative to that dreaded treadmill.

3:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home